Monday, January 11, 2010

"Values Quilt" finished! (Thanks V!)


V of Bumble Beans posted what she calls a "Values Quilt" a few months back, and I was intrigued.

I also thought it might be a good way to use up some of that fabric I have upstairs that I may never use. (Where did all that stuff come from, anyway?)

I also was looking for something to make for the Cuddle Quilt project the Guild does that I'll be joining this month...

I also thought it would be a good challenge.

It measures 45" x 45", is made from various fabrics on the front (all cotton),
the backing is simply muslin,
the binding is something that's not "just cotton", and
the quilting is my first true attempt at Free-Motion Quilting! (What do you think, Leah?!)

Sorry. The pictures could be better, but it's too friggin' cold out, the sun isn't out anyway, and Bunny isn't here. (First day of classes for her new semester!)

Anyway... here it is:








Yay!!!
Isn't it pretty?!
I'm always excited when I get a new quilt finished! =-)


This one is called a "values quilt" because of the "value" of the color, not the color itself. Yeah. I had a bit of a hard time understanding that one myself. I have NO formal art training what-so-ever, so this was new to me...


But then, after I got the front all pieced, I had the top laying out on the living room floor, and when I saw it in the near-darkness? THEN I finally understood "color value"! (It was too late then, though, 'cause I wasn't about to rip it apart and start over!)


Here, let me show you.
I've adjusted the color so it's only shades of grey, so this way you can see only the "value" of the colors. (One blog I looked at with a Values Quilt said she copies the fabric on her printer in black & white to help her determine the color value... but I didn't want to waste all that paper... But I've learned a lot for "next time"!) =-)






Anyway, when you convert it to shades of grey, you can then tell which fabrics are dark and which ones are light.

Cool, huh? =-)

Since I was originally having a difficult time with it, I sort of cheated and used lots of whites for my light values... Oh well.

Anyway, here's the back with my attempt at FMQ:


Kinda difficult to see. I know. Sorry. "Hey Bunny! I need your help!" ::crickets::

Closer:



And closer:



So now the "fun" part will be seeing if I hang it up on the wall somewhere, or go ahead and give it up for the Cuddle Quilt Project. But Kitty says I say that everytime I finish a quilt: ::whining::"I don't know if I can give it away."

Well, that's about it for today.

I hope you're having a great week! Mine's going well so far. I just need to learn to focus better on things, and keep track of time better.

...Hmmm... Maybe I need to set alarms for various times and tasks throughout the day...

=-)



5 comments:

  1. how very cool. love all the color on the front and the design on the back is really nice...hearts and is that an olive branch? nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful! What a talent!!! I have so much respect for quilters... BEAUTIFUL!!!!

    xo, Mango

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is GREAT! You are quite an artist :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love it and I do appreciate the "values of color" how the squares appear because of the darker pieces and lighter pieces. Very nice. and the free form quilting.....something I wanna try some day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think it is awesome and all the bright colors are so pretty!!!

    ReplyDelete