Thursday, May 27, 2010


(Sorry, but this is a picture-less post.  Partial rant, partial plea for good happenings, and all about my Dad.  Feel free to skip this one!)

My Daddy's back in the hospital.
If you didn't read that previous post, he had a motorcycle wreck back in March.  He was wearing his helmet, but he hit his head pretty hard in the fall.
However he didn't tell anybody he was having headaches 'til he could barely STAND them!  Z (my little sis who lives with him) took him to the E.R.  They did a CT scan and said he'd had bleeding on his brain, to take it easy, and then let him go home.

Well, the next day he started throwing up.
Z took him back to the E.R.  They did another scan, said he had fresh bleeding on his brain, and admitted him.  Kept him a few nights, did another scan, said he didn't have any more bleeding and let him go home.
He took it easy for a few days, felt a little better (OR NOT!), went back to work a few days after that.  (He still works full time, people!)

He was still having headaches, but he didn't tell anybody just how BAD they  were!  He kept ignoring them!  He went to ONE doctor's appointment, had a scan, listened to the doc tell him that they wanted to keep an eye on things, but then decided
he didn't like that doc and wasn't going back!

My little sister couldn't convince him to go back to the doctor.
I was staying out of it because Daddy had already FUSSED at me about how he wasn't an invalid and how he didn't need to be BABIED.

Well, a couple of days ago, Z told me how Daddy had fallen a couple of times.  I told my big sister, who told my oldest brother.  He's a doctor.  He called Daddy and convinced him that he really should go see his doctor.
Daddy finally went back to his doc who did a scan and told him something like
"It's not just worse, it's a HELL OF A LOT WORSE!  Go to the E.R. now.  They're expecting you."

So my Daddy's in the hospital.  For some reason, they're going to wait until Friday to drill a hole (or TWO) into his skull to drain the fluid.

My Daddy is sleeping in the ICU.

I had to sit here for a minute and take a few deep breaths after saying that.

I'm so worried about him. 
I'm wondering why i didn't do lots of things.
But at least now he's where he needs to be.

I've called my big sister and my second brother, and they're coming on Friday.  My little sister and i are the only ones who live in the same town as my Dad.  The other three live in various places in NC.  Not sure if my oldest brother's coming or not.  My older sister talked to him.

I don't know. 
I'm trying to go on with my day.
We'll see if i can get through yoga without worrying about him.  That'll be a feat!  =-)

I hope YOUR day is going smoother!

Take a deep, long, cleansing breath.
Smile at the sky.
Listen to the birds singing.
Watch the trees gently sway in the breezes.

Life goes on, and we must live it while we're here.

I hope you have a very pleasant day filled with those you love.



  1. You can't make them do a damn thing they don't want to, until they're unconscious enough to not object at the time.

    We tried to get my Dad to quit ignoring his diabetes for years, and now neuropathy is shutting his body down an inch at a time. If his truck or the TV or any other gadget acts funny or makes an odd noise or whatever, he'd be on it like white on rice, but if anybody tries apply the same logical maintenance for himself, you get muttering about whiners, babies, and meddling.

    It's frustrating bullshit, especially when it might kill them, but short of clouting them in the head, hog tying them, and carting them to a doctor, what can you do?

    Hope your Dad comes out of it even better than anyone expects, with no more trouble.

    Then later you'll be able to make jokes at him about his brain springing leaks!

  2. Wendy - it's frustrating, but true. You can NOT force your parents to do ANYTHING. Your father is an adult and unless he is NOT of sound mind, then he's calling the shots. At least now he's where he's supposed to be and getting help. But it sounds to me like the hospital/doctors goofed up to begin with by sending him home in the beginning. Keep us posted. I'll keep him in my prayers.