Tuesday, July 27, 2010

I was thinking... (I know: Shocking, right?) =-)

.

I was thinking last night while i was ironing...

While i was at my Mom's last week, she kept giving me things that are/were hers (the way my Grandmom [her Mom] did before she became bedridden).  Well, Mama gave me a magazine that used to by my Grandmom's from 1964.
Nineteen Sixty-four!  (I *know*!)
Anyway!

It was a December issue of a "House and Garden" magazine, and there was an article in it for Holiday Cocktails.
*That* is what got me thinking!  ("Finally!" you say.)

You know, "we" used to have Cocktails in the evenings.  (Back in the '50s, you know.)
Almost EVERY event featured Cocktails.
Wedding receptions, dinner parties, funerals.  When "the man of the house" arrived home from a grueling day at the office, all the women's magizines suggested the wife put on a nice dress, some heels and pearls, and have a cool Cocktail waiting and ready for him as soon as he stepped in the front door.
*Everything* involved Cocktails.

Last night while i was ironing, it occurred to me *why* "we" used to have Cocktails so frequently.


Everybody was Self-Medicating.

No, really!  Think about it!
We didn't have all these anti-depressants that are available now.




...I miss Cocktail hour...

=-)

3 comments:

  1. dang. That made me thirsty.


    Pass the Diet Pepsi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey. It's 5 o'clock somewhere! Pass me another! Hick up!

    ReplyDelete