Thursday, May 23, 2013

Om Jacket (Picture-Heavy Post)



So, i had this blue jean jacket, and i wanted to "put something on it", meaning embroider something on it.
I mentioned this to Boyfriend, and he started asking me questions like,

"What do you want to put on it?"  {I don't know}

"What colors do you want on it?"  {I don't know}

"How big do you want whatever-design to be?"  {i don't know}

"Okay, then...  Well, is there a symbol that 'you Yoga-people' use?" 

Well, that one got me thinking.   =-)

I decided to put an Om on the back of my jacket with rainbow colors swirling out from it.

(In case you don't know, the Om symbol represents the sound that is used in some Yoga classes and in meditation.  It really has no translation because it's a sound, like "buzz" or "cough" or "hum".  Just Google the word *Om* and you'll find ALLLLL kinds of information about it!  And it'll get pretty deep pretty quickly.)   =-)

So i began this project around October/November of 2011, i think.
I had a goal of finishing it by October of 2012.

...

I didn't make it.

There were many, many days that my jacket sat beside my chair in the living room.  Just sat.  Patiently waiting.

I would work on a color for a while,
and then let it sit for awhile.
Then i'd begin work on another color.
Then i'd let it sit.

I *finally* got all the colors DONE before October!  Yay!!!
...
But then i decided that i needed *something* inside the Om...
After a little "trial-and-error", i decided to use a specific bead.

But then...
Then October came, and went, and i got discouraged with myself.
I *didn't* meet my goal, and i was sad and disappointed and discouraged.

...

But now.
(Well, actually in April)

I finished it!!!!!

So i took these pictures on April 20th.
I don't remember the exact DAY that i finished it, but that really doesn't matter.  The important fact is that 

I finished it!!!!!
And i LOVE it!!!!!

So, without further blabbering from me, here it is,
my Beloved BlueJean Jacket with the Om/Rainbow Swirl:


(you can click on the picture to see it larger)








I always sign my work;
this is on the lower right "corner"
(sorry it's sideways)

I put a Heart on my left sleeve


I put a lining in it so you can't 
"see the ugly"!   =-)
This used to be one of my Mother's favorite shirts.
She gave it to me and told me to do something good with it.


It's really a cool fabric.
Shame i had to cut up her shirt.
(Makes me think of Zentangles.)

 And here i am, wearing my Jacket:





My Mother's husband saw the jacket while i was sewing the beads on, and he flipped out!  He went on and on about how Beautiful it is.  
Then he told me i shouldn't wear it.
He was emphatic about it!
He even offered to buy it from me, just so it would be hanging on a wall instead of being worn!
I tried explaining to him that i *made* it to be worn.  That it's actually GREAT to *wear* Art.
But he wouldn't hear me.  He kept insisting that i shouldn't wear something so beautiful.  That wearing it will wear it *out*, and that i should hang it somewhere where it won't get "ruined".
I *tried* telling him that by wearing it, *more* people will be able to see it than if it's hanging on a wall in somebody's house.
But he wouldn't hear of it.  He kept trying to convince me that Art shouldn't be worn.  That this jacket that i embroidered for me should be hanging on a wall somewhere.  (Preferably at his house.)
...

You know *my* solution to *that*?
I just don't wear it around him!!
That way, he doesn't think about my jacket, and i get to do what i wanted to do in the first place, without having someone fuss at me about it!

...

Sorry.
I apologize.
Whenever i start talking about him, i just get carried away.
He's the type of person who is "never wrong", and you can't tell him anything because he already knows everything, and you're never gonna be as smart as he is...
So when i think of him or talk about him, i tend to vent.
I apologize.
This post is about my Jacket
and how Happy i am about my Jacket.   =-)


I hope you do something today that makes YOU Happy!   


=-)






1 comment:

  1. Oh, Wendy, that jacket is AWESOME! It IS a work of art, and you should wear it PROUDLY!! And it warms my heart that you have a piece of something that your mother loved inside of the jacket. What a wonderful idea! This turned out beautifully! You set a goal, and you ACCOMPLISHED it! Way to go!

    ReplyDelete