Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Fake Journal 1

Fake Journal entry for April 1st:



Sorry.  I scanned my journal entry instead of taking a pic, so it's not that good.  But it's all i got today.

I'm not really explaining my character 'cause i'm not really putting too much thought into her.  Just suffice to say that she's 11, in the 5th grade, and all my drawings so far have been done "for homework".

What i'm really enjoying is that "these drawings aren't done by *ME*, but by my character, so it gives me the freedom to NOT criticize them!"

And i'm REALLY happy to report that Kitty is also doing a Fake Journal!!!

The reason that deserves three exclamation marks is because it has been a looong time since Kitty has felt like doing *any* art!  This Fake Journal has given her the chance to "be somebody else" and therefore, as somebody else, it's okay to "make art"! 

She quit doing any art when her boyfriend broke up with her a number of months ago. 

It really worried me.

She *used* to paint and do all sorts of "arty" things all the time, but after he broke up with her, it just sort of took the wind out of her sails, and she didn't feel like doing anything art-wise.

But THANK YOU ROZ!  Now Kitty's "making things" again!!!

This was the perfect "excuse" for her to begin again!

She's really getting into the Character-thing.  She's always had this ability (and desire) to pretend to be other people.  When she was little, she would play by herself in her room, but she wasn't "by herself" at all!  She was at least two different characters (if not more!), and happy as a clam.  I remember her pretending to be a stooped over old man, walking with a (pretend) cane and talking in a croaky voice...

Ya'll just don't know how good i feel about this, for her!  =-)

And as for my Fake Journal?  It's coming along nicely.  I'm enjoying drawing (who knew?!), and i think i'm really not bad!
I *didn't* say "i'm good at it", but at least i don't think i'm *bad* at it!  =-)

I'm enjoying sitting outside in this lovely Spring weather, and simply looking at an object, *really* looking, and trying to draw.
It's relaxing.

And i'm trying not to journal much, since i usually rely on written words in my regular journals.

It's different, but that's the reason Roz has us trying this Fake Journal thing:  to get out of our comfort zones and to try something new.

I'm drawing with my right hand ('cause that's my dominant hand), but i'm doing the actual writing with my left hand.  It's a challenge, but i think it helps me with my character-thing.  And i think most 5th graders don't really have nice hand writing (especially nowadays!  When's the last time you were in a 5th grade classroom?  They obviously don't have time to practice penmanship, much less talk about it, or even *think* about it!)
Anyway...

The writing says:
"Mrs Cunningham said we have to draw an 'Everyday Item' for homework so i picked my sisters phone.  She has it with her like ALL the time, Every Day so that counts right?  =-)  I like my drawing."
On the picture page, it says, "My sister's phone.  4-1-'11
Mrs Cunningham, 3rd Period
Della Fleming"

Okay.  That's all for today.  Back tomorrow with the next installment!

=-)

5 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read more! I'm a quilter too, tho not as much as I used to :)
    Ciao- fellow IFMJ'er

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed your first post. Will check back to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you got into your character and are using your non dominant hand to write and sketch. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your dialog! I had to laugh that kitty is journaling again. My kitty had a blog for awhile, and it was fun. Keep drawing a little each day, and you'll get there. ♥ky

    ReplyDelete